Frequently asked questions
How do I make a claim on my GAP insurance?
In the event of a possible claim under your policy please contact Best4 GAP on 03300 944 444 and select the 'claims' option before accepting any offer from your motor insurer. This should be as soon as you suspect or are informed that your vehicle may be a total loss. See more...
What information do I need to provide when I make my GAP claim?
For the full information on what you need to do to make a GAP claim see 'How do I make a GAP claim?'
Are there any circumstances where GAP insurance doesn't pay out?
If your motor insurer refuses your claim for any reason then the GAP insurance cannot settle. This might include reasons such as your insurance has expired or the vehicle has no MOT or is not road worthy.
Also, if you purchase a brand new car which is subsequently a total loss and your insurer offers you a new-for-old replacement vehicle which you refuse, your GAP policy will not pay out.
Will my GAP insurance payout if I am hit by an uninsured driver?
Not all comprehensive insurers will cover you if you are hit by an uninsured driver, so it is best to check with them.
A requirement of the GAP insurance policy is that your motor insurer must offer a market value settlement in the event they write your vehicle off. Provided they do so, and you can provide us with the few pieces of documentation we need for the GAP claim procedure, then we will also make a settlement.
If for any reason your motor insurer does not settle then the GAP policy cannot settle in these circumstances.
Will my GAP policy cover all vehicles?
We cannot cover any vehicle that is:
- not registered or principally used in the UK
- not purchased/leased from a VAT registered garage
- which has an invoice price exceeding £80,000. (£60,000 for vans and pickups)
- which is more than eight years old (six years for vans and pickups) from the start date of your policy
- which is covered by a motor trade policy
- which is not covered by comprehensive motor insurance
- used in competitions or rallies, for hire or reward, for driving tuition, as a taxi, for racing, pace making, speed testing, in reliability trials, kit cars, invalid carriages, solely for delivery or courier purposes, any private or public rental vehicle, left hand drive vehicle or non-UK specification vehicle or one not built for principal sale in the UK or classed as a grey import
- with a gross weight of more than 3500kg
If you are uncertain about your vehicle eligibility please contact us on 03300 944 444 and one of our team would be happy to help.